3rd November 2015

Changes in Quality Standards for Self Catering Properties

Changes in Quality Standards for Self Catering Properties

In order to adhere to the National Standards, Shropshire Tourism have added two new requirements to the Quality Standards for self-catering properties under the Shropshire Accommodation Assessment Scheme.

It is important that high standards are maintained and practiced in self-catering properties, and the health and safety of your guests are paramount. By adhering to these standards we hope visitors will feel much more at ease in your self-catering property and feel that their wellbeing is at the heart of these standards, therefore improving upon the high standards of customer service you already offer.

At their next assessment businesses will be required to provide the following:

  • In every room where gas or oil are burnt a carbon monoxide detector should be provided, and also in rooms where there is an open fire or a wood burner. A detector should also be placed in rooms where central heating boilers are located.
  • An annual landlord’s gas certificate must be provided if you have gas in your property.

According to The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, approximately 50 accidental deaths and over 1,100 of recorded admissions to hospital per year from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is often referred to as the silent killer, because you can’t hear it, see it or smell it, by fitting a detector, you reduce the risk dramatically of your guests (and you) becoming seriously ill. It is worth noting that the detector will not detect smoke so you still need to have a smoke detector as well.

Here are some tips as to where the detector should NOT be located:

  • In an enclosed space
  • In a cluttered area
  • Next to a ventilated place like a window or extractor fan
  • In areas where the temperature may drop down to -10 °C  or rise above 40 °C
  • In a place where it is subjected to dirt and a lot of dust – this will block up the sensor
  • In a bathroom or above a sink where the conditions are damp or humid
  • Within 1m of any appliance

If you have gas in your property, you will need to provide a landlord’s gas certificate, speak to a gas safe registered business, if you haven’t got one already, click here to find a list of companies within your area.

If you have any queries about these new requirements please do not hesitate to ask one of our assessors at your next assessment visit, or contact Jodie here in the office on 01743 261919.

« Back